Set up your computer with:
Editors with debugging tools:
If you are coming from an IDE like Visual Studio or Eclipse, you may like WebStorm (trial version) better than Sublime Text because of the autocompletion and debugging tools. It’s also cheaper for an academic license ($29 vs $79).
Free web services:
Sign up for:
Set up on Mac OS:
Homebrew (The instructions are at the end of the web page.)
rbenv, ruby-build, ruby 2.1.0 and the sass gem
brew install rbenv ruby-build rbenv-gem-rehash
echo 'export PATH="$HOME/.rbenv/bin:$PATH"' >> ~/.bash_profile
echo 'eval "$(rbenv init -)"' >> ~/.bash_profile
rbenv install 2.1.0
rbenv global 2.1.0
gem install sass
- Do NOT use sudo to install ruby or gems
- If you get a permissions error when installing sass, somehow system ruby is still active. Try restarting your terminal, or if it persists, check for the items above in your .bash_profile file
brew install nvm
nvm install 0.10
nvm alias default 0.10
source $(brew --prefix nvm)/nvm.shto your .bash_profile or .zshrc
- Reference the NVM README if you get stuck
- Follow Ivan’s blog post on how to install PostgreSQL
Pick a programmer’s editor:
brew install mongodb
- You may not want it to start at login; it’s pretty easy to just run MongoDB when you need it
brew install redis
- Same as above: you don’t need it to start at login
brew install heroku-toolbelt
<div id="ubuntu">Set up on Ubuntu:</div>
No need for Homebrew; you already have a perfectly good package management system.
In your terminal preferences, make sure that “Run Command as a login shell” is an enabled profile preference.
- rbenv, ruby-build, and ruby
- Note: You DO NOT have to buy a digital ocean server. These are instructions for how to install LOCALLY. Ignore the create a server droplet step.
- Note: Replace 1.9.3 with the latest version of ruby: 2.1.0
gem install sass // DO NOT use sudo to install gems
- Follow Ivan’s blog post on how to install PostreSQL
- Note: You DO NOT have to buy a digital ocean server. These are instructions for how to install LOCALLY. Ignore the create a server droplet step
- Same note as above
- Heroku Toolbelt - sudo apt-get install heroku-toolbelt
Questions, comments, or concerns? Let me know on the GitHub repo.